9.11.2008

Where were you?

The morning of September 11, 2001, I woke up in my house in Taylorsville, Utah (a suburb of SLC). I was working for Child Protective Services at the time and sharing a house with 2 friends. It was typical for me to have The Today Show on while I got ready. I was half listening and doing my hair as they started talking about receiving reports that a plan had struck one of the towers. They were showing the towers, smoke billowing out of one, as I watched the 2nd plane hit the other tower. I cried a bit and stayed glued to the TV until I absolutely had to leave for work. When I got the office, we couldn't find a TV or radio anywhere in the building so we went to a coworkers nearby home and just sat in front of the TV all morning. I had a good friend living in DC at the time so after the Pentagon got hit I called him to check in. I remember us not having much to say on the phone. We just sat there, me crying and him speechless. The whole day felt so surreal. A thousand miles from Ground Zero, I still felt like my whole day moved in slow motion. I hated seeing the news footage of people trying to escape those burning towers but there was also so much brotherly kindness among those New Yorkers... I'm used to seeing them hurriedly walking down the street without even acknowledging each other. I really loved the way our nation pulled together for a while. The days after 9/11 were patriotism at it's finest.

3 comments:

Codie said...

I am so glad you blogged this. On my way to work today there was a retired veteran standing on the freeway overpass holding a flag. I broke into tears and sobbed all the way to work. I sure do love my country. God Bless the USA

The McKell Spot said...

I agree, I wish people remembered how it feels to be so united. I called in sick that day when my mom called to tell me that a plane had crashed into the first tower, she didn't say a lot and I was out of it thinking it was a little 2 man plane and that it wasn't too big of a deal. I pulled myself out of bed and turned on the TV right as the 2nd plane hit. I was so stunned as all of us were. I didn't move from that couch all day as I watched every little bit of news I could find.

Alona said...

Thanks for this post! I actually felt it a little more this year as we watched Hurricane Ike heading our way. It reminded me a little bit of how I felt on that day!