9.04.2007

The Great Mom Escape of '07


I spent the weekend hiking Havasupai in the Grand Canyon, for the second time this summer. The first time was with my mom’s family in June. This time was with a group of women, desperate for a retreat. Julie Miller Jones (nicknamed Right Stank) put the group together. We've known eachother over 20 years and have shared many adventures. She invited her roommate from massage school Amy Price (Flash Flood), her old Tucson neighbor Nicole Robbins, and I invited my old co-worker from SJW Sarah McKenzie (Quiet Wanderer). We had a truly enjoyable time. We spent Thursday night in a hotel in Seligman. I hardly slept and I attribute it to nervous energy about the pending hike. We had an enjoyable hike in early Friday morning. It’s 10 miles to the Supai Village and then another 2 miles to the campground. We laughed and talked like old friends even though it was the first meeting for most of us.

On the switchbacks on the way down, I noticed a big pool of blood that had been covered with some type of green absorbent material. We speculated about what could have died and hoped it wasn’t human. I continued down the trail until I heard the other girls squealing and laughing. There was a dead horse less than 5 feet from the blood stain! I had been so enthralled with the blood, I had completely missed the horse!

We camped Friday night and played in the falls all day Saturday. Our late afternoon hike out proved to be even harder than I’d feared. Because I’m 6 weeks pregnant, the other girls divided up most of the weight in my pack. All I really carried out was my clothes and water. I was on serious auto pilot the last 5 miles or so. We finally got to the parking lot at about 10 pm, and not a moment too soon. I honestly didn’t know if I was going to make it. We all stood at the trial head taking up-close pictures of each other’s sweaty faces and laughing with the pure joy of survival!

I quote Amy, “Whenever I leave Julie, I’m reminded that I need to laugh more. I laugh so much with her and I need to do that more in my life.” So true. Any time with Julz is a great time. I have no regrets about going. It was worth both blisters, the ache in my left hip, and the persistent nausea I felt for two days afterward! We plan to meet at Amy’s house in Oregon in 2 years for another adventure and I cant wait!

12 comments:

Jourdan said...

wow. I need one of those weekends.

Courtney said...

I was just thinking the same thing.

Pace & Gwen said...

You are awesome women! I would've taken the second dead horse as a sign and turned back then. Ha! kidding... but SIX WEEKS PREGNANT!! Congratulations!! I did get to hike Havasupi and BARELY (I felt) made it out, IT WAS BEAUTIFUL! But getting through it while pregant... great job!

Mary Postert said...

So you posted pictures of your trip (which looked like lots of fun) but didn't post pictures of what Brad did to the house while you were gone. Are those pictures coming?

The Rogers said...

how fun, i've gotta plan one of those! and just fyi, i think you are one tough cookie, doing that while pregnant!

Leah said...

Looks like you had fun.....sorry you felt gross the whole time. Glad your home and safe! I hope to get your pictures done this week!

Laura said...

Jill you're iron woman! Now I feel extra wussy since you hiked it pregnant. Thanks.

Alona said...

How fun! I haven't seen Julie forever! Thanks for the post!

onehm said...

After I saw you at the grocery store, I raced home to check out the blog...and am just now able to comment!
YOU ARE AMAZING! (And I know you said not to be, but I'm seriously impressed!)

The Rogers said...

the three tests are for the three different times josh and i have been pregnant. first pic was with hannah, second with hyrum, third, well you get the idea. I think i'm due at the end of may.

Kristal said...

Julie was telling me about this trip this last weekend. Seriously, you're amazing. I can barely get out of bed when I'm pregnant, especially those first few months! Good job!!!!

Kim A said...

Hey Jill,
Camp Lomia looked fun, I really did want to go, but Aaron had to work.....just like for the "Date Skate" night.....by the way, I was laughing seeing Chris Shill in your pictures....I've known him since high school......actually I think it was when we moved into 39th ward that I met Brad and Chris.